New OS means fresh install, which is exactly what I did. I installed the latest Windows OS, along with Visual Studio 2015 and SQL Server 2014. Then I tried opening one of my existing projects running on LocalDB, only to be greeted with this error.
So I did what Visual Studio asked me to, but that didn’t seem to do much. Instead I got another error:
I thought that updating the connection string from
v12.0 would solve my problem, but it didn’t.
After a couple of hours Googling, I finally came across this little gem:
According to Microsoft
In SQL14, we moved away from the numbering/versioning for the automatic instance and named it “MSSQLLocalDB” instead of “v12.0”.
And just like that, everything started working again.
This post is more of a note-to-self than anything else, but I do hope someone finds it useful.
WassalamTags: breaking changes, localdb, sql server